View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi 2snaggleteeth,

Ok, now the picture is clearer, thanks for sharing the information.

From your description, your mouth was very unhealthy prior to your extractions and the smoking is adding fuel to the fire. Periodontal disease is a progressive infectious bacteria that is strong enough to deteriorate the jawbone. Your dentist may not have mentioned bone loss to you, but any long term case of periodontal disease will undoubtedly cause severe bone loss. Also FYI, tooth decay is a progressive infection also. It can lead to nerve death of the teeth and then progress into the jawbone. Broken teeth with decay are very sick teeth. So you can see your dental situation had progressed to an unrestorable one, at least from a practical viewpoint.

Given the long term periodontal disease and loss of bone, you are not a candidate for dental implants because there is just not enough bone to work with. The smoking definitely puts you in high risk failure rate for dental implants even if you did have an adequate, healthy jawbone.

My professional opinion about your post operative surgical pain, swelling and bleeding were due to the extensive infections in your mouth, your smoking and your overuse of ice packs. Infections and smoking prohibit the body from healing properly and ice should only be used for the first 24 hours if at all. NEVER use ice more than 24 hours as it will only prevent the blood from circulating properly which increases pain and swelling and slows down the healing process.

The reason the extraction sites have not healed after almost 6 months time could be from the smoking and the rinsing with Listerine. The chemicals in tobacco deprive the mouth of oxygen, restrict the red blood cells and decrease salivary flow. All of which are imperative during the healing process. The Listerine has alcohol and other (chemical) drying agents in it which decrease the salivary flow and cause irritation and inflammation to the gum tissue. Listerine will prevent the surgical areas from healing completely.

Perhaps the biggest health concern at this point are the openings of those extraction sites after nearly 6 months of healing time. Chances are, the bone in those areas has not healed properly either and bacteria is able to get into those holes. This is not a good thing because infection that occurs in jawbone can end up systemically as well. The mouth is extremely vascular and whatever is going on in the mouth is traveling through the blood to other areas of the body. An unhealthy mouth and a compromised immune system from smoking can lead to some very serious health problems.

My suggestions would be......
Stop rinsing with the Listerine completely. It is causing harm not good. Not to scare you but to inform you....... A study just came out about the link between alcohol based mouthwashes, it named Listerine in particular, to oral cancer. The combination of the chemicals in Listerine and cigarettes....... not good. Those ulcers that won't heal and the open extraction sites need to be checked by your dentist asap.

Stop adjusting your own dentures. You will ruin the integrity of the fit and they will be useless.

Stop smoking. There are so many ways to help people stop smoking. Please seriously consider your options...... they could save your life.

I hope you can work with your dentist on getting your mouth healthy. If it were me, I would not wait.

All the best to you.....
Bryanna

************To other people who are reading this post, I think it's important to know that this persons situation is not uncommon in people who have severe peridodontal disease and/or smoke. Full mouth extractions do not have to be painful or debilitating and healing from them can be quite miraculous in healthy people. Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2snaggleteeth View Post
I'm new to this forum stuff and don't even understand what a thread is. I suppose I'll pick it up as I go along. Thanks for your helpful info. I tried to write a reply to byanoceanbreeze but the program would not allow it. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to be allowed to reply or if replies are strictly your department. ... Some basic background. I am a smoker. My dentist is particularly uninformative even when I think to ask a question or have any issue that he doesn't feel needs resolving. Very frustrating! I had moderate gum disease at the outset. No loose teeth. No bone loss was mentioned to me by my dentist. I'm not sure that he even examined me for bone loss or what kind of exam would be involved in determining if there was bone loss. The only dental visits I have had over the last 20 years were to address painfully decayed teeth. Never went for regular treatment/prevention. Over the last 20 years I have had three extractions and two root canals with crowns, no cleanings, no deep scaling as was once recommended. When I presented myself to this dentist it had been over 5 years since last visit to any dentist and I had one molar that had rotted and broken off below the gumline. I had lived with this tooth in this condition allready for 2 years.
I told this dentist that I would like to get full set dentures rather than the even more costly proceedures involved in repairing and restoring what existed. He said he could do the extractions and place the permanent dentures as a same day procedure. What little bit of homework I had done on dentures lead me to believe that this was the most recommended approach to full mouth dentures. While sitting in his exam room a video was playing that promoted a sort of snap on denture with four to eight implants to attach the denture to the mouth. When I expressed that I would prefer to have that kind his answer was that I was not a candidate for those because I am a smoker. No more or no less explanation than that. The subject was closed. He moved on to tell me what he would do and a very brief description of the process, with the usual disclaimers that the timing of progress is different for different people and that of course the solution to all my current and future problems would be to quit smoking.
The swelling, bleeding, and pain that I had after the extractions was shocking! Even in this dentist's experience my situation was "unusual" and he had not had a patient with the same experience I was having. Three days post extractions I still had quite a bit of bleeding. The swelling was so severe I could not have smoked a cigarette (yes I tried). The swelling went from the top of my neck all the way to my eyes, including pressure behind the eyes. I had considerable bruising to my face as well. Co-workers and family alike told me I looked as though I had been beaten to near unrecognizability. No joke, no exageration. Though he had planned on removing the dentures the next day (a Friday) to examine the gum progress he knew with one look that would not be possible so he set me up to look at them again on the coming Monday (post extraction day #5). Over the weekend there was no way of doing any salt water rinses that he would normally have recommended because the swelling was too severe for me to attempt to remove the dentures. That excruciating visit on day 5 he did get them out and instructed me to remove them twice daily to do the salt water rinses. And to continue wearing the ice pack that originally was only recommended for the first 2 days. I wore the ice pack for six days and ten nights (it had just become too inconvenient to continue to wear it at work - 2 jobs). Another "unusual" aspect of my progress was that I kept re-swelling. By day 8 when I was able to say I think the swelling and pain are getting a little better, it was short lived. With no apparent trigger or consistancy the swelling would go right back up for 2-8 hours before I would sense it coming back down. By day 14 the bruising to my face finally began to turn from black to greenish but friends and co-workers still claimed that they could not see that the swelling had diminished. By day 20 they thought they finally could. It is now 5 3/4 months post extraction. The swelling is gone. The reswelling is gone. In fact the gum has shrunk so far down that there is almost nothing left on the lower for a denture to hold on to. I still have three socket holes on the lower right that just WONT close. I use salt water once daily and listerine 2-3 times daily. I use a denture soak at night but put the top ones back in for sleeping. I don't know where to get a zyletol rinse. Any suggestions? I have six very small ulcers that I can't get rid of and others that come and go with different small adjustments made by me at home and made by contuing shrinkage of the gums. Sorry for the TMI background book but I don't know how much is helpful in getting more accurate advice. Thanks for your help.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote