View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post here is my story . . . sad, but true . . .

I tried capsaicin a number of years ago. I had recently been diagnosed with PN and it was suggested by a few different folks, including my doc at the time. I was aware that there could be a reaction and I started with the low strength stuff.

The first time I tried it - just on my "better" foot - it really helped a lot. In fact, I remember thinking that this might really be a godsend. I started using it conservatively on both feet. The first 3-4 applications lowered my pain very significantly.

And then . . it happened . . . with no warning of any kind. I can remember the whole thing just like it was this morning. I was going to a movie after work with my wife. I was really looking forward to being able to watch it as I had been having trouble doing things like that, especially as it got later in the day.

I went into the restroom at the theater and put the stuff on, just as I had done the previous few times. Within a minute or two, I felt this intense burning in both of my feet. I immediately had to sit down in the lobby. The burning kept getting worse and I felt as if my feet were on fire. My wife got some ice and it only helped a little bit.

Now we were getting scared. My wife phoned my doctor and we got a call back quickly. I was advised to go home, lie down, and I had some medication to take, and so forth. I was not sure I could make it home. The only other option was to go to the ER - which was on the way home.

I got in the car, kept applying ice as best as I could - while trying not to scream so my wife could drive. I was going to go to the ER but then I decided to try and just make it home. I did - the next few hours were like heel on earth - but the burning finally started to recede.

Needless to say, that was the end of my adventure with capsaicin. I have since learned that my reaction is not at all uncommon for PN'ers.

rfinney
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote