Thread: Older onset
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Older onset

Hello all
I HURT...most of the time. Was in an auto accident 5 years ago. Everything downhill after that. Nothing SPECIFIC injury wise at that time. Shortly thereafter diagnosed (only definitive diagnosis) with torticollis or cervical dystonia (painful neurological condition of the neck.) Since there have developed peripheral neuropathy (had a million and one tests for this one and all negative) but find increasing achiness pretty much total body but mainly both legs. Legs ache, with occationaly shooting pains. Xrays, MRI, etc. only show some scarring at L5-S1 impinging (had surgery 20 years ago that was very successful). Worked until 5 years ago as a critical care nurse and on my feet 12-16 hours a day. Now I cant spend 10 minutes walking at Wal Mart or the mall (any place with very hard concrete surfaces). Dont have peripheral arterial disease ...been tested for that too. Particularly hurt at night with legs that just ache, etc. Also very stiff and in pain in the morning. Had a bunch of tests for arthritis, set rate, rheumatoid factor, etc. all negative. At this point doctors think I am nuts but I am in pain. I am 65 now and this was not how I had planned my retirement years. Anytime I do slightly more than my norm, I hurt for 2-3 days. I do exercise (tai chi and treadmill) but simple things like a 2-3 day auto trip leaves me in horrible shape. My husband so wants to take a cruise to Alaska in the fall (always his dream) and I dread going anywhere. Could this be fibro? It has been fleetingly mentioned but I dont particularly have the tender spots where they are supposed to be (actually any place you press hard enough I hurt). I am starting to question my own sanity. I am not, nor have I been, a complainer but anymore it certainly seems I am. I try not to say to much to hubby as I think he thinks it is psychological (and who knows maybe it is BUT I dont think so). I do exercise (as previously mentioned, eat a good diet, take some recommended supplements for the neuropathy) but am getting worse.
I know Mrs. D reads these forums. I am at the end of my rope because I hurt so and nobody really acknowleges. Doctors say well you are 65 what do you expect...not this...I was in good shape and still basically am. not heavy at all, no smoking, etc. HELP
sbvcrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mistiis (06-17-2009)