View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have followed some of the brain oriented stem cell therapy issues. The embryonic stem cell issue is of no value to the brain injured. The study I read reported that embryonic stem cells are not necessarily pluripotent.

They found that there is a risk of the cells developing into non-brain tissue. They have observed tooth cells and other non-brain cells developing in the brains of test subjects.

They found that there was a greater success from stem cells developed from the patient's skin cells. This technology is advancing quickly. The autologous donation is also a great risk reducer. The technology is called induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. iPSC. The research is ongoing in La Jolla California and shows great promise.

Regarding the neurofeedback self training, my research shows that the LENS system may be the most effective. The problem with self training is that some of the malfunctions are not as evident as the promoters claim.

I was evaluated by one of the pioneers in QEEG and neurofeedback. He broke down the wave forms into minuscule time resolutions to pinpoint the dysfunction. More common problems like OCD and ADD/ADHD are the easiest to treat. The more minute errors are harder to treat. He did not offer neurofeedback for my condition.

Dr Amen has a lot of interesting ideas. Some are valuable. Others are quite questionable, especially for the brain injured. His focus is more oriented toward human potential issues. I was looking into his clinic (The Amen Clinic) before my most recent and debilitating injury. At the time, he was only operating out of his Fairfield California Clinic. He was a frequent guest on San Fransisco area TV talk shows. Since he went commercial, his claims have become a bit more extreme.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote