View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good Luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsh1284 View Post
I just want to clarify something, btw .. I will be having to spend a decent bit of my back-pay on various necessities of life over time. However I'm blessed enough to be in a situation where I won't have to spend a big chunk of that money until I'm ready to. My family wants me to be able to buy myself a home down the road so I can survive on my own without havnig to pay .. monthy rent for one example. If I'm gonna be in a spot where I can buy a dang home why would SSI tell me I cant have that money in savings where I can hopefully do that when I'm ready to? Thats all that's about. I don't want anyone to think I'm just gonna have all this money to spend on random crap. I just live with my elderly grandparents and they want me to have a home of my own when they're gone .. so I'll get to keep a big portion of my back-pay thanks to their generosity.
Hi, I understand your frustration and I really don't know about the back pay part of SSDI and SSI. What frustrats me is that I have worked all my life and had to retire because of RSD..I was also turned down for SSI because I had over $2200.00 in the bank...I can understand that part BUT I actually know someone who is on disability and NEVER WORKED a day in his life who also gets SSI every month. He also has two credit cards that SSDI and SSI pay his bill every month. So he can charge anything he wants and they pay his bill, but I can't save any money. I just don't see the logic in their findings. He also get his medical completely paid, no co-pay, and I have no insurance now and won't for two years. The insurance comes with the SSI from what I understand. If I wanted Cobra insurance from my job, it would have cost me $1200.00/month...the lowest is $600.00 but doesn't cover anything. I'm sorry I vented and I hope everything turns out good for you but I'm sure you would agree with everthing I vented about. Good Luck
Martg1946 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (07-07-2014)