Thread: Shunt pains
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown Shunt malfunction.

hi, everyone. I don't know if I posted this but I just thought I'd get some input on this. I've been having shunt problems lately. I've been put through the wringer siince about April 1st. Went to the hospital having intense headaches on the valve area in the right back side of my head. They did a shunt series but bould not do a right hand side view because I was to shaky during the exam. Later they took a CT. CT revealed that the shunt is disconnected at the point of skull entry. I remember one time during this year that I was laying down in bed. and the heard a crack and it began to hurt near the shunt valve. Anyway, I told my nsg, and he said it is not disconnected I'm still having pains from it and have had a seizure in June or July of 2008. went to St. Louis for a second opinion. The ER doc compared their CT with the one from the 1st of APril and asked me about being diagnosed with Dandy-Walker. I said no, He said a cyst was there in the brain on the CT from the previous hospital and then went to compare it with theirs, but they changed shifts.Neuro resident came in and treaated me like a hypochondriac. said my ventricles are OK and shunt is working. 4 doctors at the hospital said that the shunt is no longer connected or working and my brain is like hydrocephalus is not there. Anyway,This shunt has been in Since 10/88 and distal catheter was reviised since in 2002. Any suggestiions? I'm at wit's end. CPS took my little girl because of this and a judge has ordered me to get something done but no one will do anything to help. Shunt pains get worse and fluid is leaking from the shunt area down the neck.

Sorry foor the long post and
Rudy Parr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote