View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MG/Social Security Disability

Hey all. I have found this site extremely helpful as far as understanding my Myasthenia Gravis. I was diagnosed Aug of 2008. At that time I had ptosis in both eyes, could not swallow, breathing problems, weak arms legs and problems falling. My Neuro told me what I had and started me on Mestinon and Cellcept as I am a type 2 diabetic. He said he thought he could have me pretty much back to normal in 6 months.
In Oct I had IVG treatments as I was not making progress, and Thanksgiving week I was going up steps,got to 3rd step fell backwards onto concrete carport, was knocked unconcious, entobated, and flown by air to a trauma ICU unit where I spent 4 days.
I have fallen several times since then, still have trouble walking,slurring words, eyes still close when typing,reading,watching tv. I cannot get myself out of tub due to muscle weakness(Now bathe on a chair) cannot get up off of floor or if I fall by myself. From Aug-Dec I was only able to work enough to earn $2,100.,and in Jan filed at my Drs. suggestion for social security disability. As I have been told by others, I like 95% of Tennesseans was denied, and I have hired attorney and appealed decision. He says SS will probably turn me down again, but there was no doubt I would get it when the case went to a judge,
My Neuro has seen me about every 3 months since the diagnosis and has changed my dosage each time. Is this normal? Any suggestions from others would really be appreciated. I thought I would be back at work and somewhat normal by now but am nowhere near it.
Pippi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote