View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

At some point all people with rsd have their pain go SIP, sympathetically independent. This is the reason your pain increased after the block. Your pain was already independent at that point. WC made me get a block a year after rsd started and it threw me into a full body flare for 2 months.

Blocks only help pain that is SMP, sympathetically maintained. There is always hope when the pain is still SMP. Once it is SIP, blocks will not help at all and, from experience and talking to LOTS of people lol, it typically increases pain for awhile.

The SCS is not something the top rsd docs want any rsd to get, period. It is too invasive and the majority of people get much worse with big time spread and multiple surgeries after scs implant. The scs only helps pain that is SMP too. It does not touch pain that is SIP.

Hope this helps some of ya'll out in understanding the why.

Hugs,

Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
I had my first lumbar block after 2 year of rsd a month ago and it increased my pain. I had put it off due to that fear but after other doc before this one who again suggested it wanted to do more major like scs and my pain was so high I decided to try one. I guess of course I am not happy with it increasing my pain which lasted the flare up for a couple days it did give direction and now I am back trying meds again and a different approach and it also led me to the possibility that the scs for me would also do similar to what the block. I have heard of people getting relief to where they are able to get active which is key with rsd. Can you see another pain doc to get another opinion? Have you tried any meds? I am sorry you are suffering and wish I had more answers

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (06-20-2009), aj822 (06-20-2009)