View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Pippi, It is so sad that getting social security for people who really need it becomes this pathetic game. They do the turning you down thing on purpose. I was turned down the first two times too. Then I had my hearing before a judge and was found to be disabled.

It really helps that your doctor brought the subject up first. Make sure you, or rather your attorney, emphasize that during the hearing. The best way to "act" before a judge is very respectfully. Only answer the questions. Don't talk too much. Unfortunately, appearance and how you act is everything in a court hearing. This sounds sexist, but wear something attractive but not too over the top. Slouch in your chair - something I didn't have to "exaggerate" during my hearing. I could barely sit up. Because MG is an invisible disease, it helps for everyone to "see" that you can't walk well, sit well, talk well, etc.

There are people out there who try to get soc. sec. disability who don't need it. Not very many people do that but it happens. So they are always on the lookout for people who do that. It's not fair but that's what they do!

The hearing is VERY important so you have to really think about it. I'm sure an attorney would "prep" you for it.

I hope you get it because it sounds like you need it.

Erin, Check with social security ahead of time to see what amount you qualify for! I believe it is based on how much you have worked.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
erinhermes (06-20-2009), Pippi (06-21-2009)