View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked My PM Doc's Receptionist is an Additional Pain Added to My RSD

Hi Friends,

I was scripted new meds for break thru pain on 6/9/09. The script is for Tramadol(Ultram), 50 mg.,2 tablets every 6 hrs. That is 8 tablets per day. The tablets are instant release vs, the 300 mg UltramER(extended release) 300mg, 1 per day...which did nothing for break thru pain for me.

I called the PM doc's office and spoke to receptionist, expressing concern that this new script would not last until my next appt., 7/7/09.Receptionist told me to have pharmacy call office and new script would be approved. I asked receptionist if I am to take these tablets every 6 hrs, and she said,"yes..and to stop the 300 mg ER". This was on 6/9/09.

The new script calls for 50 mg.,2 tablets every 6 hrs. That is 8 tablets per day. The script was written for 90 tablets. That is 11 days and 2 tablets for the 12th day. Today is the 12th day..and even though I called pharmacy on 6/19/09, to have script called in by doc...pharmacy said that that doc office said it was too early for me to have tablets. They should have lasted til next weekend! I had the pharmacist "do the math" on the pills I was scripted on 6/9/09. Pharmacist agreed with me, and said she would fax another script with a note that stated that tablets would run out early Sun. Morning,6/21/09..which is today.

This conversation took place on 6/19/09. I called doc office back, and spoke to nurse. Nurse said that my script should last til next weekend. I asked her which script she is referring too..she said Opana 20 mgER.

I told her that I was calling about the Tramadol(Ultram) 50 mg. She said that she would call me back in 5 min. I waited 20 min., and called the office back. No one answered the phone..the answering machine came on and said that the office was closed for the weekend!!! I called the emergency # and spoke to the call service, explained my issue, and the svc. told me that all they could do was to make sure my PM doc knew that his rec. and nurse did NOT return my call. PM doc would NOT do scripts after office hrs.

So, tomorrow..I will be calling the office back. This is the second time that I have had to "hold on"..til a Monday. So upsetting, as I did what I was suppose to do...why should I have to call and remind them of my script running out? Is it that difficult for the doc to write a script that will last until my next appt.?

The funny thing about this situation, is that in the State of Oklahoma, Tramadol(ultram), is NOT a controlled medication.
There is no high..no street value. The switch to the instant release tablet has calmed my pain, with the Opana ER.

This behavior from my PM and his staff is unacceptable. I see them because it is WC ins. choice. I do not feel comfortable having to monitor them to do their job, and then looked upon as I misused my meds, because they are incompetent, and cannot write a script for the correct amt. of tablets.

I will be calling my atty. tomorrow.

A Positive Attitude Will Assist Me Toward An Active Life, Once Again

WC Injury 03/24/07;Two Right Knee Surgeries on 5/22/07 and 01/16/08. Surgeons and Physical Therapists ignored my concerns of burning pain, swelling, and no improvement and getting worse. Diagnosed RSD/CRPS I/Sympathetically Mediated Pain Syndrome/Chronic Pain on 06/2008 by family doc;on 08/2008 and 12/2008 diagnosis confirmed by two WC PM Doctors: Both legs;hips; hands; and spine effected by this culprit. SSDI granted 01/2009.
Dew58 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (06-22-2009), loretta (06-22-2009)