Thread: MS and Smoking
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

"Perhaps the most interesting research linking smoking and MS came from a 2007 study in the journal Brain that explicitly links the onset of MS before the age of 16 to childhood exposure to secondhand smoke. The longer the child was exposed to secondhand smoke, the more likely they were to develop MS. In the study, 62 percent of the 129 MS patients had been exposed to their parents' secondhand cigarette smoke during childhood compared to only 45.1 percent of healthy children."

What doesn't smoking cause?

I think about 65% of the adult population smoked when I was born, and smoking was EVERYWHERE; doctor's office, grocery store, hairdresser, every workplace ...

Fifty years later only about 20% of the population smokes, and it is banned in even many OPEN air areas, where it couldn't possibly hurt anyone.

Did I miss the new stat that says MS is getting less prevalent .... because hardly anyone smokes or is exposed to second hand smoke now?

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (06-21-2009), tkrik (06-22-2009)