View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Chris, your link, which led to the study yesterday, does not seem to have an article associated to it any more. I'm linking to a "no page available" now, are you? If so, do you have another link to that study?

NIAID seems to have a similar stem cell trial going on out of various places in the USA.

The purpose is:

Purpose
The purpose of this study is to determine the effectiveness of a new treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS), a serious disease in which the immune system attacks the brain and spinal cord. MS can be progressive and severe and lead to significant disability. The study treatment involves the use of high-dose chemotherapeutic drugs to suppress the immune system. The participant's own (autologous) blood-forming (hematopoietic, CD34+) stem cells are collected before the chemotherapy is given, and then transplanted back into the body following treatment. Transplantation of autologous hematopoietic stem cells is required to prevent very prolonged periods of low blood cell counts after the high-dose chemotherapy.

And one of the inclusion criterias is:

Criteria
Inclusion Criteria:

•Two or more relapses in 18 months time on interferon (IFN), glatiramer acetate (GA), natalizumab or cytotoxic therapy with EDSS increase of 1.0 or greater for participants with EDSS at screening of 3.0 to 3.5 (0.5 or greater for participants with EDSS at screening of 4.0 to 5.5) sustained at least 4 weeks after at least one of these relapses OR one relapse on IFN, GA, natalizumab or cytotoxic therapy with EDSS increase of 1.5 or greater (1.0 for subjects with EDSS at screening of 5.5) sustained at least 4 weeks, together with MRI changes consistent with poor prognosis. More information on this criterion can be found in the protocol.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00288626

I don't remember the particulars about the small study you linked, but it seems that there are people willing to try some back-to-back serious heavy-duty drugs everywhere around the world.

Cherie