Thread: Dexedrine
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dexedrine

I have not heard of many YPWP taking Dexedrine (D-Amphetamine). With the high dosages of L-Dopa,(I'm up to 1200mg/day, after 13 years since DX) antidepressants, sleep promoting drugs, amantadine, antispasmodic agents and pain medication, plus an already well established pattern of "sundowning", I had developed a dual diurnal cycle in a 24 hour period. This made PD even hardef to handle, than with all the "usual" complaints.plus when I was awake, i was "dopey" most of the time. My lucidity was fading fast.
Then, one visit to a particularly good neuro, who unfortunately moved on, he said "why don't we try giving you a stimulant? I told him that caffeine only nakes me shake, and that newer stimulant drug, the one who's name I forget, just didn't do much at even high doses.So, he said "we'll try dexedrine. I must admit at first I was a bit scared of using another controlled substance for the rest of my life, but Dexedrine literally changed my life. It is the only new medication that I've tried in 7 years that gave me back a much better quality of life, with PD. I can almost keep "regular hours" have quit "sundowning", I can drive without fear again, it brought me back to life. The only problems are now that i'm up and moving around more, I fall more often (usually 2-3 times a day). My blood pressure has been brought into the 120/70 range, so i don't have nearly as many orthostatic hypotensive events. It took a bit of work to get the dose right but 30mg of controlled release, taken in the morning, keeps me up and alive all day, and by midnight, it's worn off enough and becase I'm getting lots of exercise instead of just sitting or lying down all day, I can usually get along with minimal seep helping aids. Perhaps the best thing is I've lost 15 pounds and am getting my strength back again. If it weren't for falling down, and the addiction liability, this would be a wonder drug, but for these and other possible side effect reasons , most neuro's won't ever let you get near trying dex to see if you tolerate it well..
I'm lucky I guess, but now with my pain and sleepiness controlled, I'm almost back in the game of life again. If only i could do something about not having to go to a wheelchair soon O well, I'm a lot happier now than i was for years. Fingers crossed about side effects, because if they took it away from me , i would be awfully unhappy.
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
@chilles (06-22-2009), Thelma (06-22-2009)