View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Oh, rats....

I still have 1/2 bottle left...I bought 3 of them a while back and only use one a day. I find the capsules work as well as the tea for me. More convenient, I can take on vacation etc, easier.

Jarrow typically stops making things. I've had to call them once even and they said if they can't get the raw ingredient..they discontinue.(this was for a potent gugulipid they used to sell). But iherb may just not be selling it due to low movement. I noticed that they also discontinued the Doctor's Best CoQ-10 200mg with Bioperine I use too. I had to buy another brand yesterday at SAM's club, instead.

Yerba Mate is a choleretic, and improves bile flow.
Quote:
J Ethnopharmacol. 2001 May;75(2-3):291-4.Click here to read Links
Choleretic effect and intestinal propulsion of 'mate' (Ilex paraguariensis) and its substitutes or adulterants.
Gorzalczany S, Filip R, Alonso MR, Miño J, Ferraro GE, Acevedo C.

Cátedra de Farmacología, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquímica, Junín 956 (1113), Buenos Aires, Argentina.

'Mate' or 'Yerba mate' (Ilex paraguariensis, Aquifoliaceae) is a tonic and stimulant beverage widely used in South America. It is also traditionally used in gastrointestinal disorders as eupeptic and choleretic agent. Accordingly, the effect of decoctions of the leaves of I. paraguariensis and three of its substitutes or adulterants (Ilex brevicuspis, Ilex argentina and Ilex theezans) on bile flow (BF) and intestinal propulsion were investigated. I. paraguariensis and I. brevicuspis induced an increase in BF, while the latter also enhanced intestinal transit. In contrast, neither I. argentina nor I. theezans exerted any effect on BF or intestinal propulsion. These results suggest that the therapeutic properties of I. paraguariensis will be affected when at least an adulterant is present in the final commercial product of Yerba mate.

PMID: 11297866 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

I used it everyday for about 2 yrs, now I only use it occasionally if I get twinges of spasms.

Ilex is also an ingredient in Biofreeze...and I think the popularity and useful results from that topical rub are due to the Ilex. I use that too, since my physical therapist suggested it for me.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-22-2009)