View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your story reminds me so much of my own... my neuro, ophthalmologist (and neuro-ophthalmologist), Endocrinologist, and all my other doctors thought I could have MS as I had all of the symptoms you are describing (Rosacia-like face problems, hair loss, pain, numbness, etc)... although my pain was located primarily in my feet (some occasional hand issues), and I had Optic Neuritis- a major marker of MS. They did every test they could- MRI's (of most of my body) X-rays, CAT scans, a slew of blood tests including tests for rare diseases and disorders I would never have- like HIV. They even did a Spinal Tap, multiple EMG's and a Punch Biopsy. They all came back clean- except the Biopsy which showed I had Peripheral Neuropathy (But that was obvious) and the blood tests which showed all my inflammatory markers were very high. Finally they sent me to a Rheumatologist who eventually, after even more tests figured out I have some kind of Auto Immune Disease (but they can't figure out which one) This all took about 2 years from begining to now- I began to exhibit symptoms Two years ago on May 25th.

To make a long story short- they put me on a drug called Methotrexate which is helping reduce the inflammation and as a result the pain is reducing. I'm still got perfect yet (and not as good as I'd like either) but I am a hell of a lot better than I was a year ago. I can now walk a round and go to the gym (with an increase in pain, but not intolerable) where as a year ago I couldn't walk from one room to the other without crying from the pain.

I think with your family history and symptoms it could never hurt to see another doctor/get another opinion. I would try a Rheumatologist...your Neuro should be able to recommend someone. I do hope you feel better, and let us know how you are making out!

Macophile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote