Thread: itching...
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 11:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default itch, scratch

Hi, my second post since finding Braintalk2.

I have itching sometimes. I'll tell you what helps and does not help or makes things worse.

Like SallyB, all of the above medicines would be bad for my co-diagnosis, Porphyria. There is one I have on hand but have not tried yet, called L-Histadine, from a natural foods source. A fellow porph has bad itching which responds to this.

I myself am helped by having enough calcium and D3. I have not pinned down what on earth could be the reason for this helping, although I know it has been shown that D3 helps MS. I am so glad that Nick told me about D3 being better than D2. This is not a help which occurs over time--I get better with itching right away if I take enough D3. For me, enough is about 500-600 IU a day plus whatever I get in my D3 enriched skim milk. But

Another thing I must do is use baking soda in the rinse water of the washing machine, so that all clothes have hard water residue removed. And I use Aveeno in the bathtub, Aveeno oatmeal and esssential oil Lavender. This does not wholly remove neurogenic itching but it does cut down on whatever itching comes from my delicate skin which I have from Porphyria.

Anyone who is reactive to so many meds should talk to me. Many of my MS and Porphyria neurological symptoms are interchangeable. I have lots of brain scars although only a few are periventricular.

Mariel
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote