View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Nervous about surgery

I have to have a pretty big surgery on July 17, an ileostomy- where they remove part of my small intestine that is bad and reconnect it to my side and i'll have to wear a bag (pretty gross and so not looking forward to it). I have also had cirrohsis of the liver since i was a little over a year old so this kinda complicates things, as well as having a colectomy when i was nine (full removal of my large intestine). Because of my liver i have developed varacies (areas in my spline and esophogus that are problimatic for serious bleeding), I haven't had any problems with these since i had the colectomy at which point the ones in my esophogus burst and i threw up a pint of blood (EW). so i saw a heptologist so i could get an ok for the surgery and he gave me a 25% chance of going into liver failure and mortality rate. but oddly enough that doesn't really bother me as much as the possibility of having the surgery and possibly having the rsd spread to my abdomen/internally.

any body have any suggestions of preventative drugs/injections i should ask for while in the hospital? i have a pre anesthesia appt in about 2 weeks and i'm going to ask to get ketamine as part of what they use to knock me out. figure i might as well try to get a k infusion that's gonna be covered by insurance while i can. since its put me in remission i don't see why it wouldn't prevent me from spreading... but if the anethesia doc doesn't go for that i'm very open to other suggestions.
AintSoBad (06-25-2009), allentgamer (06-25-2009), Dew58 (06-24-2009), fmichael (06-27-2009), loretta (06-25-2009), Mslday (06-26-2009)