View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 02:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist View Post
Hi Vanessa, I suddenly realize I haven't said a proper "hi there and welcome" to you - ooops!
so.....Hi there! Welcome! I think it's just great that some more youngsters are joining us, though shocking that you should all have to endure this at your age - are you really only 16? Wow, that's tough. I'm really interested in how this disease begins in people, what started it for you?
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am so glad that I found this site. It has been helpful to talk with others who also have RSD. I love the different doggies you've had in your avatar. My avatar is of my dog! Yes, that is really my age!

I read one man's article on RSD, and he thinks that RSD is all started from an over active sympathetic nervous system. It all makes sense to me... things keep clicking as I read more and more. I am trying to do everything that I can to work on my RSD.

Here's what I do at home for PT:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Home PT Check-Off List:
__weight bearing on table
__rubberband pull down
__rubberband pull up
__cup stacking
__bottles on/ off shelf
__elbow flexion w/ 2 lb. weight
__wrist flexion w/ 2 lb. weight
__arm stretch on table
__shoulder shrugs w/ arm movement
__shoulder squeezes (held 5 seconds)
__clay squeeze
__ball roll on table
__cool/ warm water baths 10- 20 mins. each arm
__lotion on hands/ arms
__pillowcase rub 5 mins. left side
__pillowcase rub 5 mins. right side
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am going to PT as I mentioned. Each time I am there for 3+ hours, and I work hard there. I take the pain meds before I go to help me get through it. W/O the pain meds at PT I cannot do the excercizes (I am in too much pain... I cry through it).

At home I am doing a lot of what we do at PT, but I can take it easy and take a lot of breaks between it all.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have to go to PT for desensitization, strengthening and ROM. My ROM has improved somewhat, but I cannot get my arm lifted straight out in the air itself. The muscles are very weak.

Do you have any ideas of what to do for sensitivity to touch? That is a major problem for me. I am just SO sensitive. I am doing desensitization sticks at PT, fluido (ground up corn husks blown all over your arm w/ heat!) and whirlpool.

I am thankful that my Dr. found out I had RSD before it got worse, so that hopefully I can recover.

Thanks for the help. I must go now, my arms are had it! Typing is not easy, but I am trying to keep my hands moving and I'm trying to do as much as I can.

Last edited by InHisHands; 02-14-2007 at 10:07 AM.
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (07-11-2009)