View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase4769 View Post
I have a couple of questions. I had my fusion performed back in Dec of 2008.
I injured my back when I was an active duty marine and am now trying to get back in. Anyways I have been training since my 4 month post op when my doctor cleared me for full duty. I also went through a month of pt before they released me. I followed the doctors orders to a T. Currently I have been training to go back to active duty, and am wondering if the symptoms are normal that I am experiencing. I am running 3 miles every other day pain free and am able to complete normal weight lifting exercises on the off running days. My question is my lower back seems to be constantly sore. It is not a pain it is more of a tightness and soreness as if it was from working out. I do take 2-3 days off a week and stretch every day. I am still stiff in the morning or when I have been sitting but it quickly loosens up once I move around. I know for sure its the muscle and not anything to do with the nerves or spine. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks,
Chase

yup. i wouldn't say 'often' as this point (5 months post op), but it does happen often enough so that i'm not surprised. my doc and PT said that'll go away with time, but it could be a long time.

i've found that deep tissue massage works pretty well for me. i even got my PT to write up a bogus Rx for daily massage that i presented to my girlfriend. she didn't think it was uproariously funny as i did. but i still get an occasional backrub out of it.

i' ve also found that slouching in chairs is pretty bad for me; it makes my bad hurt. i gotta make sure i'm sitting up straight, like i have a stick up my butt or something. i look like a prissy fool, but my back doesn't hurt, so....

i am surprised he cleared you to go back on active duty, mine wouldn't clear me for full return to work. of course, while active duty will undoubtedly require a lot of activity, my job involved a LOT of bending, stooping and squatting. notsogood on the back. i just wish he'd have told me that a while ago. oh well, i was planning on changing careers anyway.
batfish55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (05-28-2010)