View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You always have the option of quitting, and it is no different when you have an ongoing or concluded w/c claim. In this economy, however, unless there is another job lined up, quitting would likely leave you without any income or insurance coverage, and in many states, no chance of unemployment.

If you feel the restrictions do not accurately reflect what you can do, you can always ask for a Functional Capacity Evaluation. An FCE will put you through several objective lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. exercises to see what you can do. Of course, even then, repetitive work over an 8 hour day is hard to quantify in an FCE.

While my experience was not due to a work injury, following my complete colectomy I attempted a light duty return to work, 4-5 hours a day. Talk about ill treatment . . . at the end of week one, after being off work for over two months, I was called in to the supervisor's office and told my work was deficient and that I had to get all caught up quickly . . . on 4-5 hours a day! I was told what a good job my "cover" did at my desk (I found no evidence at all) and how I was expected to be up to speed soon. It was my mistake for even trying. I was told how my caseload had been reduced (by about 15-20%) even though my hours were reduced by half, and I was expected to keep up. I was given warnings at the end of each week that I was not cutting it. Eventually my surgeon, who wanted me strong for my next surgery, took me completely off work to reduce the horroble stress this was causing me . . . and he was very disappointed that my employer had decided to play so rough with me. I never returned to that employer. . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (06-28-2009), diaba (06-25-2009), Jomar (06-25-2009)