Thread: Need references
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Finding references isn't going to change your family. If they don't support you, they aren't going to start because you show them some articles. Talk to them about what you need, and how their invalidation and emotional abuse affects you. Be honest and calm and objective about it. Make it about you, not about the literature or statistics on depression. If they don't get it after you have tried your best, then you may need to look elsewhere for support.

My family doesn't help with my depression either, and I just had to get away from them. My sister became a psychiatrist, and my brother committed suicide, and probably almost all of us have depression and/or anxiety, but the family doesn't change. They use depression and anxiety to control anyone who dares to challenge the way things are, or to dare to move towards independence. It gives them power.

But you can pick up any book or article about depression and if it is from any legitimate source it will support that people don't just choose to be depressed because they like it that way. It's learned, or it's genetic, or it's related to the past and/or current situations, or it's biological, or it's related to the social system, or all of the above. And ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Maybe this will help at least to give you some validation and support: DepressionisReal.com (or .org) (sorry, the site won't let me post the link) Even if your family doesn't change, the way that you feel is valid.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote