View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned User

10 yr Member
Banned User

10 yr Member

That is a good article. I am bookmarking the AAFP website for future reference.

I probably still need to get an MRI, as you suggest. That is also what my doctor's nurse had suggested. What has probably kept me from having an MRI sooner has been the results that I have seen with a cocktail of antioxidants that I am taking.

*edit*

After reading the article, it has made me think that this may be an inflammatory issue. It is my understanding that antioxidants reduce cellular level or systemic inflammation, which would explain their effect.

I also had a hemorrhoidal flare up that lasted the entire second half of last year through about the end of February. Daily psyllium and 2% hydrocortisone cream were giving me only temporary relief between each BM. Interestingly, both times that I have taken cipro my inflammation has gone away. My month of cipro to deal with prostatitis was this past March. *edit*

It seems strange that something like an over the counter supplement would work, where the hydrocortisone and psyllium (prescribed to by my GP and GI docs respectively) only gave me temporary relief.

So, returning to the leg/hip issue, I wonder if the antioxidants are merely treating symptoms or if they have dealt with the root cause. Before antioxidants I only knew of two ways to deal with inflammation: NSAIDS and gluco-corticosteroids. Neither of these appealed to me as long-term solutions.

We'll see. I know I probably still need the MRI, just to find out if there is any other serious cause.

*edit* It seems that these are just vitamins, amino acids, and other substances that would be less hard on the body than even NSAIDS.

Last edited by Chemar; 06-27-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: NT guidelines re commercial posting
TalkingNeuron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote