Thread: GABA anyone?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gaba and Valerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Has anyone used or currently using the supplement GABA? If so, how long and with what results? And what kind-I have found tablets, capsules, lotions that absorb into your skin, even lozenges that dissolve under the tongue!

I ask because it is one of the main inhibitory neurotransmitters and may help calm things down. For every article I find that says it doesn't easily cross the BBB, I find another that says it does! Aahh!
I have used 1 tablet of Gaba (Source Naturals 750 mg) and 2 capsules of Valerian (Now 500 mg) in combination as a complete substitute for Clonazepam over a period of the last 5 years to relieve feelings of panic, anxiety, and racing thoughts brought on by stress. Clonazepam worked well for me but I found it extremely addicting and easily abused. Clonazepam also resulted in feelings of slight depression. Gaba and Valerian proved as effective without undesirable side effects. Increased dosage of Gaba and Valerian result in sleepiness which can be a beneficial side effect in my mind. Gaba and Valerian also share Clonazepams benefits on muscle and pain problems.

Currently Gaba and Valerian are standard bedtime for me and "if and as needed" during the day.
shcg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote