View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

As a child we'd spend several weeks at my Grandmother's tobacco farm in NC. I loved that place. I could spend the entire three weeks there and never once leave the farm. And I never got bored!!

I can remember picking tomatoes with her from her garden and having fresh tomato sandwiches for lunch. Good ole' white Sunbeam bread, mayonnaise and tomatoes. Fresh black pepper and a little salt. YUM!!

There were racks for drying the tobacco leaves lined up at the back of the house. My cousins and I would climb all over those racks. It wasn't anything elaborate but we'd spend hours out there.

On some evenings other family members would come over and we'd fry catfish they'd caught that same day. My Grandmother would make homemade coleslaw from cabbage she'd grown. She'd also make homemade hush puppies that were better than anything I've ever tasted.

I miss those summers so much. Her house didn't have A/C but she had a huge attic fan and kept all the windows open 24/7 with the attic fan going. I don't remember it ever being hot. If there was a thunderstorm we'd all go out to the screened in porch and sit out there and watch it. We'd eat homemade bread & butter pickles my Grandmother had made.

Such simple but fun times. Why can't life be like that today???
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (06-29-2009), soxmom (06-29-2009)