Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Kitt,

I assume that you have had this bridgework recemented a few times over the last 48 years? The reason being is that the cement only has a shelf life of 10-15 years depending on which cement was used and how it was used in the first place.

Also, the materials used to fabricate the bridge wear out over time from the constant chewing forces on them. The porcelain becomes thinner which slowly alters the bite and can cause other teeth to become worn down as a result.

So although it is expensive, it is healthier for the sake of all of your teeth to have the bridge remade after about 15 years.

Just wanted to pass that info onto you and others who may not have been informed about this from their dentist... :-)

Bryanna
I have never had it recemented. I also was told that nowadays the cement is not as good as the old kind used when I had it done. In fact, my dentist now uses the old kind of cement. At least my dentist likes it better. Apparently it was much better than whats out there now.

I also have been very careful with my bridge for all these years and have taken great care with it. Again, I have never had it recemented in these 48 years and it's still going strong. My bridge does not hit any other teeth when chewing. And I've been very careful how I bite. For example, I cut the corn off of the cob and I slice applies, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote