View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Carey and Debi,
Your post with NY times article (Paula's paradigms thread) and Debi's detailed analysis of bench to bedside process bring out a lot of issues that need attention. As far as I know NIH budgets in terms of absolute amount of money and research dollors spent per capita are the highest in the world. Even at the rate of 20-30 years from the time of first NIH grant to a pill for the patient, US is still at the top of discovering new cures. It was true atleast a few years ago, dont think it would have changed dramatically now. Thats the good news!
What I find troubling in this process of "Aha" moment as Debi described (I like that expression, thanks!) to industry is the time it takes. In many labs, there is no urgency to pursue aha to product stage what so ever and no accountability. Reseach for the sake of research. Why is that? 10-15 years ago, it was more prestigeous to be in academics and do basic research than go to industry. There was a general feeling among the grad students that those that could not get NIH grants go to industry. Drug development was not a choice for the "thinking types". I feel this is one of the road blocks to drug development. This has been my experience. Diagnosis with PD brought me down to reality. If any one from science back ground is reading this, please correct me if I am wrong.
Some of these attitudes have changed with biotech boom, small to mid size companies have translated discoveries to clinical trials. I think thats where the future of new therapies is. These mid size companies started by people who care about solid science and patients are the key to new developments.
NIH is also funding such entities with SBIR grants and MJFF does too. As always I am optimistic and hope one of these biotech would hand me "the cure"
So this is my two cents worth on this topic. Time to head home... may be more later.

Girija
Now, whether all that government research money has been well spent is another question entirely. But I didn't think the amount of money was in question.[/QUOTE]
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote