Thread: Implants
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kitt,

The "old" cement that was used 50 years ago still only has a 10-15 year lifespan if that. Once the adhesive bond is gone the cement starts to dissintegrate. My intention for posting this fact is so that you and others realize that there is no dental cement that lasts indefinitely, not in the past and not in the present. Some dentists (very few from my experience) still use the older form of cementation simply because that is the material that they prefer to work with, but it has nothing to do with it lasting any longer than any other one because it doesn't.

It's great that you have taken good care of your bridge and have been very careful with chewing on it! However, all teeth (bridgework included) are suppose to touch their opposing teeth when you chew. The only exception to this would be an open bite in which the upper and lower arches do not come together properly or if there was a severe overbite causing the front teeth to protrude way past the lower ones. Perhaps you have one of those conditions?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
I have never had it recemented. I also was told that nowadays the cement is not as good as the old kind used when I had it done. In fact, my dentist now uses the old kind of cement. At least my dentist likes it better. Apparently it was much better than whats out there now.

I also have been very careful with my bridge for all these years and have taken great care with it. Again, I have never had it recemented in these 48 years and it's still going strong. My bridge does not hit any other teeth when chewing. And I've been very careful how I bite. For example, I cut the corn off of the cob and I slice applies, etc.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote