View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetic license View Post
This is a great blog, thanks for the link. I like the quote she has on there (from someone on a message board) that basically sums up what I've been feeling about the CRAB drugs:

As far as the PML risks go, even though I'm not in a place where I'd consider Tysabri, I still think that the issue is blown a little bit out of perspective. To compare, I know that this is another thorny issue, but compare to childhood vaccinations. Statistically there are higher risks of "adverse events" from those yet most of us still vaccinate our children, even though the risk of contracting those diseases is relatively small. With MS there is a sure decline in one's health vs. a low risk of a major complication. Given how well the drug works for most people I totally understand why people choose it. Being new to this disease I also really appreciate the fact that this type of drug even exists!
Thanks PL!

I am not sure what your experience is with your neuro, but most of us were handed a bag of literature and tapes and told to go home and call back when we chose a drug. I don't know of any other disease where they do that.

Many folks are on one or another of the "CRABs" For some, their choice works very well. For others, they run through all of the choices. Obviously, on this Tysabri thread, there are people who Tysabri is working for, so we can be called "Tysabri cheerleaders" There are also a lot of folks who have been here who, for one reason or another, have chosen to stop Tysabri and moved on to another therapy, or chosen to go "naked" and not choose anything for now.

One of our objectives when we fought to get Tysabri returned to market was to allow us the opportunity to make an informed decision and choose the drug we wanted.

This board exists to support people and give them all the information we have to help them make an informed choice. They can talk to people who are on each of the drugs and assess the risks involved for each of them, the ease of use, the side effects, and hear others' stories on the good and the bad.

Each time a new report of PML comes out, folks who are on Tysabri each have to make the decision all over again in their head, to continue taking Tysabri or to make another choice.

Regardless of what anyone's personal choice is, we support them in their decision.

I for one, have chosen to stay on Tysabri once again, after the latest case of PML that was reported, with the information I have received here and from other sources.

Let us know how you are doing and we will support you in whatever therapy you choose!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!