View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Checking in

Hi.

It has been awhile since I've checked in here. Since my last visit I've had a knee replacement and am now in recovery mode. I've gone through the usual phases of recovery; BED-RIDDEN, WALKER, CANE, CANE=LESS. I am now cane-less and walk at my usual pre-operation pace. Other things now occupy my life. Last week my wife and I went to Green Bay, Wisconsin where I attended my high school graduation anniversary. There were 122 in the original graduation class, of which some 30 were in attendance. My brother took me to the site of our old house, now a vacant lot. I have no idea what will be put up in its place. Perhaps a 7-11 since it's across the street from the High School.

I've been trying to keep my self busy recognizing that each person has a personal definition of the word "busy." In the pastt few months I co-authored several papers; in SCIENCE, NATURE and MARINE GEOLOGY. I'm still not satisfied with my output, though. The book that I claim to be working on is still gathering dust as are several other projects.

Our plans for the summer are set. Next month (July) my wife will go to a music camp in Vermont for one week (she is a pianist). The week following we will go to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. We go there every summer as a family and have been doing so for almost 30 years. I love it. Later on in the year (October) we plan to travel to Switzerland for a one week river boat cruise (just my wife and I).

I still have my PD. I've come to terms with it, some what. In the morning I wake up and it's there waiting for me. I try to hold it at bay using a number of devices. In addition to exercise, I've concluded that humour is a good antedote to PD. So, after getting up at 5:30 and making my breakfast, I turn on the TV and laugh through an hour of comedy programs. I've treated my self to all the episodes of WINGS, GOLDEN GIRLS and many others. My PD symptoms show up later. Apparently PD and laughter are not compatible.

Have a good day,

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (07-01-2009)