Old 06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Brokenfriend,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this cavity problem. There may be a few things that are contributing to this sudden outbreak of cavities.

Generally gum line cavities are caused by the following issues:

.......Chronic dry mouth called xerostomia. This occurs as a side effect from many medications, one of them being "Seroquel". The meds cause a decrease in the flow of saliva which leaves the teeth vulnerable to bacteria causing decay. Teeth need to be constantly bathed in saliva as a resistant mechanism from tooth decay. This dry mouth condition also occurs if you are a mouth breather, especially when you sleep.

........ Another reason for gumline cavities is a build up of plaque. Plaque is made up of unremoved food debris that grows bacteria on it which causes tooth decay.

.....Another is gingivitis or periodontal disease. When the gums along the gumline become puffy it is a perfect hiding place for the overgrowth of plaque and bacteria.

...... Another reason is if the PH level in your saliva is too acidic. This causes erosion on the teeth and makes a person more susceptible to cavities.

.........Another one is the use of mouthwash that contains alcohol, like listerine. Alcohol is a drying agent and it causes a major decrease in salivary flow predisposing the user to tooth decay.

The yellow banding around the teeth can be the actual early stages of tooth decay. Aside from the Seroquel, are you aware that you have any of the other above issues?

To help combat chronic dry mouth it is imperative that you do not ever use a mouthwash that contains alcohol. However, using a great product that not only reduces the incidence of tooth decay but also encourages more saliva flow is called Xylitol. The best and least expensive way to use this is to buy Xylosweet in either small packets or in bulk containers and simply add one packet or one teaspoon to a small cup of water and rinse daily with it at night just before you go to sleep. I have personally seen it work wonders in many patients who stick with it every day!

FYI.... Xylosweet can be purchased in some grocery stores or online at vitacost.com. Here is a link that tells all about it...
http://www.jigsawhealth.com/products...t_xylitol.html

Hope this info is helpful!
Bryanna
Thank you Bryanna

I could not find the Xylosweet at the two Supermarkets in this area. The only thing that I found was"ideal" Packets. It's a No Calorie sweetener. It has Xylitol in it.

I also bought some chewing gum with Xylitol. Thank you so much for letting me know about Xylitol. I just had some Oatmeal with the "Ideal" sweetner. I bought 4 boxes of it,and it has 50 Packets in each box.

My mouth has gotten dry at bed time,an hour after I take the Seroquel. Some times I'd open my mouth to breath,with the Night Guard in my mouth.

I don't want to loose any of my teeth. BF
Brokenfriend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote