Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLV View Post
Cara,
I just read this on my son's nutritionist's website:

OBSERVATION: Laurie takes acidophilous , a “good” bacteria product, to improve gut function. The result is irritability and/or increased gas and loose stools.

WHY? War could be raging between “good” and “bad” bacteria in her intestines, causing symptoms associated with die-off. Healthy bacteria are replacing the potentially harmful bacteria or yeast. As the bad organisms die off, they release toxins and irritants which cause symptoms.

ADJUSTMENT: Lower the dosage of the current supplement or try a less potent product. A slower, gentler approach can achieve the same outcome with less distress. If symptoms persist, ask your health practitioner to suggest tests to understand the digestive environment better.

--Judy
Thanks Judy. I know this is a common reaction, and have tried giving miniscule amounts...using just a partial dose of a childrens version. I wish I could buy coconut or goat kefir because I just don't want to make it! Kefir is supposed to be easier on the symstem. I have not tried Culturelle, though, so maybe I should give that one a try. I think it is supposed to be gentle.

One thing I have never been able to find out is how long the die off should last, but I just can't seem to keep it up long enough to get past it... I've always given up between 7-10 days because she just doesn't tolerate it...even with partial doses. It doesn't seem to make sense.

I think I've also read that excessive gas (and she has a fair amount always...only comes out during bm's) can indicate that digestive enzymes might be useful. That I just talk alot about trying, but still never have.

I'm not behind in my budget for once. This would be a good time to order things, so let the product recommendations fly~

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote