View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LOL Melody you are a riot!!

Any computer you get should detect your DSL modem and put you online without doing much of anything. The only time you would need software is if your DSL provider has a place where you need to put some kind of password, but I havent seen this for quite a while.

The links that Jo have here are a great place to shop around for just a tower. You should be able to buy just the tower, and your monitor and keyboard will be plug and play, no drivers or software required. Things are getting easier and easier for computer users. Just hook up your monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet connection and you will be surfin the net in minutes!

To beef up your current computer look at getting a SATA hard drive, and some new memory. You can up grade to vista also, or if you have a win xp disc you can continue to use that OS.

Something I have been recommending is a good thorough cleaning of the inside of the computer every year. What I do is take the side off and take a can off air and blow all the dust out of every nook and cranny, taking extra care in making sure the cpu fan and cooling fans are all blown out real good.

Then a clean install of the OS is in order bringing the registery to that new first time user feeling. It will feel like your computer is brand new. Just remember to back up all files you dont want to lose, because a fresh install wipes everything out.

If you want this done to your computer, find out how much it will be. It may not be worth it to fix up an old one, after buying the new parts and paying the guy to clean up and upgrade your computer, it might be the same price as buying a new tower. Just make sure you compare the two before you decide which way to go

Gone Squatchin
allentgamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote