View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I am ONLY 60 years old, but I do think about the elderly drivers on the road when I get behind one and where the speed limit is 45 and they can't seem to get over 35 or 40 and brake when passing through an intersection or when vehicles are coming towards them in the on-coming lane. I always wonder if this action is due to poor eyesight...or disease of some kind.

We don't have many four lane road in my "neck of the woods" so this scenario is very common when I travel between home and another city, which is often.

I know how hard it was to get my grandfather to give up his license. It is to most giving up independence. I knew that feeling in 2007 when I was not allowed to drive for three months (which could have been permanent, if not for a kind Internist) after my post-surgical seizure. Each day I would think of going to the grocery or the bank or any other place. I had to call the local para-transit BEFORE noon the prior day to get where I needed to go the next day, or I walked. Fortunately for me Gettysburg, PA is pretty small and I could walk to many placed. What would I have done if I had still been in Tampa, FL?

Being without a drivers license is not something I care to repeat. So, I can understand how hard it is for elderly folks to give that independence up.

I will say that in a conversation with Dr. Stern, my PI, after my Internist gave me my driving privileges back. I commented about driving and while he didn't say the actual words, his comment was to say, "if I had my way, none of my PD patients would be driving." I will never forget that conversation, it made a deep impression on me.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote