View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default healthy foods

CTenaLouise has shared with us her regime, and it's a great one....I will add our experience with food.

We do MUCH better on a modified macrobiotic diet (got into this because friends of friends have been cured of cancer on this diet, so we figured it was good enough for us!).

The real macrobiotic diet is pretty rigid, and unworkable if you have little kids like we do, so we change it up a bit. But the premise is generally the following:

no processed foods
LOTS of vegetables, leafy greens at every meal is ideal
alternative grains, tons of rice, quinoa (this is very good), couscous
little to no wheat (and if you cut processed foods, you cut a ton of wheat)
very little dairy (this is hard, we love cheese and ice cream)
fish or chicken, very little red meat

This means a lot more time in the kitchen, but it's good for our kids to see how food needs to be prepared, and it's much healthier. We will take quinoa, cook it, and then mix in tomatoes, black beans, cilantro (lots of this, we love it), some olive oil and lemon juice and it's delicious. There are tons of recipes online for eating this way and I usually make a big batch and then we can take little containers out of the house as needed.

Shopping is easier, too, you just avoid the middle of the grocery store where all the cookies, chips, cereals, canned soups, frozen foods, etc. are. Organic is best whenever possible, and growing your own even better...even a patio can hold one or two big pots with chard, kale, lettuces, in them...I have posted about gardening before and it's so worth it.

Another bonus of this "fresh and clean" way of eating:

less trash!
support local farming!
you will actually be hungry when it's time to eat!
you honor your grandmother who loved to cook like this!

I just read an article that said American adults are getting fatter (how is this even possible? Has anyone been to a mall lately and looked at our people-how much bigger can we get?) It is very hard to be obese when you are eating fresh and clean.

Everyone who modifies their diet should share what they experience here so we can all learn. I personally love the recipes on epicurious.com, but there are tons of sites with great recipes.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote