View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Neurotalk Book People,

I offer the following as suggestions only -- feel free to use any of them or none.

RE: finding material for your book: For When Parkinson's Strikes Early, Barbara and I had first decided on the topics we wanted to cover in the book and then did a search of the Parkinsn list archives on key words related to those topics. We asked the authors of the postings for their written permission to reprint. Just about everyone was enthusiastic about participating.

Or sometimes we remembered reading an especially moving, or funny or intriguing posting or a great poem or short story by list members like Bill Harrington, Rita Weeks, David Boots . Sometimes we asked the author to add to their original postings. We also found accounts about important medical developments and political actions our list members had been involved in – such as postings by the first American to undergo experimental DBS surgery; the role of list members, organized by Jim Cordy and Margaret Tuchman in passing the Udall Bill, Lynda McKenzie;s story about participating in the first fetal transplant clinical trial – and receiving sham surgery. These online discussion group archives are a treasure trove of PWP’s history.

So if you decide you want to apply to Hunter House Publishers, they will probably want to see a book proposal (there is a very useful book titled “How to Write a Book Proposal”) and a few sample chapters. But for now, if you'd like, I can just ask them if they might be interested in the concept of your book. I don’t think it should be a sequel or a revision of WPSE . Even if you follow a similar format, it should be a completely new book that represents the people of the Parkinson's Neurotalk community and their lives in 2009. Actually I first learned about Hunter House from reading a review about another one of their books that also used writings from an online support group -- one for women with MS.

One of the downsides of working with a publisher is that if they give you a suggestion, you sort of have to do their way . Barb and I originally planned to use only list postings, edited and rearranged to give the feeling of a global l conversation. However, the publisher requested that we add factual information interspaced throughout. And looking back I think it did make the book stronger and more useful, but it required a lot of rewriting. Among other edits, they also chose the title (originally it was to be called “Behind the Masks” ) If you want more literary freedom, there is always the option today of self publishing, which has become easier and less expensive, and I think able to reach more readers

So just let me know if there is anything I could help you with now or later on. I think the book ‘s a great idea, and a much needed resource, and hope lots of Neurotalk community members will get involved.
linda
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote