View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thanks for this thread, girija

How old were your kids at the time of your diagnosis?
i have two sons, they were 12 and 28 - six years ago

Did you tell them or talk to them about PD?
i told them separately. my younger son asked loads of questions, the older sort of said oh - and has not really asked or engaged with me about pd since.

What were your feelings as a parent?
i felt anxious about getting my younger son to adulthood, and guilty because already pd had made me less physical and more tired. i was fearful that i would be unable to be a 'proper' mom to them both

How are your kids dealing with your PD?
my younger son has been an amazing source of support, good humour and love, my older boy sadly is in denial, and does not really 'see' how pd affects me

and anything else you like to write from your experience
i am glad that from the outset i was open about pd - i never have had to try to do things outside of my capability, and some of the losses i have experienced kind of correlate to the dyspraxia that my younger boy has, so we have really laughed our way through a lot of the tough times, and have become very good at looking out for each other. obviously if i could do it all again i would not have pd, but i think that he and i have learned a lot and he is stronger for it. my older son is not at home, and so it has not really affected him at all, more it affects how we relate to each other.

oh, my younger one turned 18 last week, over here that means adult! and i feel that we didn't manage things too badly.......

lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
girija (07-02-2009)