View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
mine are definitely wax, not silicone. also, while i said i would use them multiple times, the package says not to. i think that's because they gradually start to heat up and melt gradually. i do notice the outside is slippery when i take them out - the same way as a candle gets when it is warmed up.

i will have to look into the memory foam ones. i thought that wax would be more protective, but that may not be correct... since used in the military.

lol... i sometimes have that concern about the slipperiness after wearing the wax ones a while. but they don't melt to liquid so i'm ok i think.

moisture in the ears is bad because it can offer a comfy environment for fungal infections. my guess is this is the reason. otherwise... water would actually block more sound than air does.

i wear them under these circumstances too - and when my sleep schedule is upside down which means my parents will make noise, OR, if i have a migraine - then all noises are heightened. as for my alarm clock, i have a soft toned one, with a gradually rising volume. and i cannot hear it with plugs but if i need the plugs i am usually in conditions where i turn my phone volume (doubles as alarm clock) off altogether. unfortunately there are much louder noises which can happen - like the condo intercom, and the landline phone, or my father's cellphone (loud enough for ME to hear WITH plugs and asleep, even tho he doesn't WITHOUT plugs and AWAKE), and the plugs need to block those or at least stifle them. so plugs mean, no alarm for me. should i need to be up at a certain time, i arrange to be awoken.

whew. i'm glad somebody else notices this stuff. i try to remember that they are "good noises" too, but they are still too LOUD when trying to get to sleep at times. at the table it is annoying because i can't follow conversation between my crunches. but if i take the plugs out my family's volume can easily rise beyond my tolerance if i have a migraine. plus, sometimes i get tinnitus with plugs! always somethin, huh.

i would tend to agree. interestingly many ppl with bp also have migraines, and during a migraine light and sound sensitivity can be heightened greatly (can worsen pain during headache phase) - to intolerable degrees at worst cases. however i find i am more sound sensitive than most even without a migraine. i can also hear higher frequencies than most people.
That sucks!!! I hope you were "covered." And i hope you gave hubby a talking to about closing the door before leaving you untended with possible strangers coming into the house. actually i would want to be awakened if repairmen were coming. i would have been scared.

LOL. That's funny.

i know the headphones you mean. we used to have those ... back in the 70's and 80's when we still had vinyl-listening capabilities. since then, many "moves" happened. i think they went with the stereo/player.

i don't know the kind of "muffs" BF has but the ones i've used at firing ranges are not big and poofy like the serious "stereo" ones. they are like beige or grey, and sit more flat all around the head. also somewhat harder all around. that is why i can't imagine sleeping with them on. maybe there are different kinds if one buys one's own.

~ waves ~
I sleep on one of those Tempur-Pedic pillows,so that when my cat meows,I reach over,and put the Sound Barrier Ear Muffs on. They are not bulkey. They are sort of small,and flat,and light green. The part that joins my ear muffs slips on from the back of my head. Then I just roll over on my side on the pillow,and the ear muff sinks right down in the pillow. After snoozing for awhile,I take them off to see if the cat has stopped meowing.

If someone breaks into my house while I have the muffs on,I will hear them. I have these loud alarms on my doors,and the body feels shock waves. I'd be up,and running for my fire arm if someone was busting into my House/apartment. I'd be calling the police also,but you can't depend on how fast they can get there. That's the element of time that they cannot guarantee. BF
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mari (07-03-2009), waves (07-03-2009)