View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Dew...

The blood pressure medication you use has a diuretic in it.
Over time it depletes magnesium from the body. When magnesium gets low, you get muscle cramping, twitching and risk of cardiac arrhythmias. People with poor magnesium levels, often are tense and have trouble sleeping.

I'd suggest you check out my magnesium thread to help choose a supplement that works and dosing. I'd start at 1/2 the RDA or 200mg elemental:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html

The reference I use also lists these nutrients that can be lost when using your blood pressure med:

potassium
sodium
magnesium
CoQ-10
zinc
phosphorus (one typically does not need to supplement this since it is so common in foods).

Chronic use of NSAIDs like Mobic can deplete folic acid

Long term use of Cymbalta may cause muscle spasms too.
This is from the SSRI part, which over time may cause the brain to lower dopamine levels, when that happens, there may be movement disorders, RLS or cramping. It may start in the face, tongue, neck area first. But some posters on these boards have reported RLS symptoms in the legs while taking SSRI drugs.

I'd suggest you get a B12 and Vit D blood test. Low B12 (anything below 500) results in the failure of melatonin manufacture and hence you may be having insomnia from that. methylB12 is a cofactor in the synthesis of melatonin from serotonin.
Many people with chronic pain issues are being found to have low Vit D levels. Correcting this one nutrient is showing that some people can reduce their pain medication as a result. It is very inexpensive to supplement this, so I'd really check it out.

There are studies out there that found that Fibro patients have lower B12 levels in the spinal fluid. The reason for this has not be explained however. It also occurs in MS patients.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 07-03-2009 at 07:22 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (07-03-2009), Dmom3005 (07-04-2009), GmaSue (07-12-2009), tamiloo (07-29-2009)