View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Stressedout,
I am so sorry you are going thru all this WC stuff and not allowed pain meds. It's really good you have an attorney. I think it would be a good idea for you to print out some clear shorter information about RSD for your attorney. RSDSA has some good information. I think it talks about RSD being on the McGill Pain Index Scale and being 42 on a scale of 1-50. It's right in there with amputation and terminal cancer. RSD is one of the most painful chronic pain disorders could possibly have. The more your attorney is in touch with the pain of RSD and what RSD is like, the more he will have conviction and be intolerable with WC's attitude and lack of compassion for what you are going thru.
Distraction is a huge tool we all use for pain. That could be stretching, scented candles, warm baths, comedy, music, there are portable music players that play different nature sounds. I have one that has ocean sounds, stream sounds, waterfalls, rivers, chirping birds in the woods, etc. It also is a am fm radio, cd players alarm clock. I don't travel much anymore, but when I do, it goes with me.
There is a machine that you put warm wax on your hands and feet, it hardens and then you pull it off, It feels real good for your hands and feet. Also, a Tens Unit can be ordered by your Dr. and I really helped me, It runs by battery, has 2 patches that lead to the unit, which can control the strength and frrequency of electrical impulses.
I didn't know I had RSD, but when my shoulder froze up after surgery, I was sent to a rehab Dr. who oversaw my physical therapy. I had at least 100 treatments to get the use of my shoulder back. I also felt massage therapy played a huge roll in that process, even tho I had to pay for the massage therapy. I had it just before the p.t. Physical therapy was extremely painful, but I'm grateful I followed thru with it. The RSD went to my other shoulder about a year later. p.t. and massage therapy. Maybe 50 or less for that shoulder. Then I felt a pull in hand from water skiing. One important thing besides p.t. that I had was desensitization. I had it weekly at the therapist, and dailey at home.
Got several tupperware containers and put different textures in them. Cotton balls, sand,
coffee grounds, rice, beans, Anythings of different textures. I also continue to have massage therapy. Swimming has been my lifesaver for mobility. I have fullbody RSD now 13 years and swimming has kept my feet toes, limber and kept them from curling, thus out of a wheelchair. I have one hand that is crippled. After the water skiing nerve pull,I was misdiagnosed, and the hand froze up. I finally decided to go to sports injury orthopedic group and the hand surgeon diagnosed me in 1 minute, followed up with therapy, got partial use of hand but it's like a claw. but not touch sensitive like it used to be due to the desensitization.
One thing that has helped me so much is seeing a psychiatrist once a month. The mental adjustment and grieving process thro our losses with RSD is so important. Our life isn't the same, but we can be grateful for so many things. And it takes time to come to acceptance of this change in our life. My Psych. is a neurologist and pharmacologist, so I'm not dealing with a Pain management group. I'm so grateful to have this relationship with this Dr. I see him once a month. I have not gone up in my pain med in 5 years. He has changed others meds, I take Vicodin. But he uses others meds that work on nerve pain.
WC did wrong in pushing you into nerve blocks as an only choice. There are others on this forum that got spread because of nerve blocks.They left you with only one option.
That's not right.
Is there a RSD support group in your town or a larger town? They are wonderful for in person support, Plus they are experienced in knowing the Drs. in the area with RSD experience. You can get the nearest group to you by going to RSDSA and putting in your zip code- and that will give you a name and phone number for a contact person as to time and location of the meetings.
Take care and please know we are all here to support you, loretta soft hugs.
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (07-04-2009), aj822 (07-03-2009), SBOWLING (07-03-2009)