View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I personally think Science Diet is terrible. (I know after Eukanuba came out, that Science Diet did try to compete and changed a little from the heavy CORN ingredients, but I still don't trust them).

I switched our cats over to Eukanuba when it first came out a decade ago, because IAMs was the first to put Omega-3s in it.
My oldest cat who is 22 now, was getting sick on Science Diet.
(and fatter).
She had sores all over her face and the 2 vets I went to said to use prednisone orally for it.

Well, I was researching Omega-3s for myself and son, and friend, and while I was on Barlean's Flaxseed website, there was a link to IAMs. I clicked on it and BINGO... we have used Eukanuba ever since! IAMs had alot of research about fats/Omega-3's for cats on their website back then.

We laugh here and used to say they put Cat Nip in it or something to entice the cats...they really love it so. But if it sits around for more than a day, it loses its aroma or something and they beg for fresh. So don't assume that just because it is dry it will last until the bowl is empty. Instead just put out a little each day, to keep the scent for them which attracts them. Keep the kibble tightly sealed so the aroma does not escape. (we use clips after folding down the bag several times).

Perhaps your kitten is too small for kibble yet, so moist food would be a good idea during the weaning process. But do try the IAM's Eukanuba... I think it is far superior to Science Diet. The mother cat teaches the kittens what to eat...and your kitty doesn't have that advantage. So it might take a while to get her to accept other food during weaning.

Cats require more fat and protein than dogs. All the carbs some makers put in cat food, is just not good for them.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (07-06-2009), Twinkletoes (07-06-2009)