View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin

[QUOTE=jadiee-x;533494]Hiya,
Im so sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with severe hydro.
But welcome to our little family on here. We will help you with as much as we can

As for the shunt issue, you would not be better off without one. You dont want the fluid inside your head to increase, having hydro means your brian is underpressure as it is. Having a shunt placed with decrease the pressure and help you to feel better.
Of course there is a catch but i guarantee the benefits outweigh the negatives of a shunt.
A shunt is prone to malfunction, blockage, infection etc.
But if it were to malfunction/ block then you would be in the situation that you are in now, it means the shunt would not work, therefore leave the fluid to accumulate in your head.
The chances of infection arent very big but that doesnt mean they are rare, but its treatable with antibiotics.
&& of course there is complications in surgery, as with any surgery.

I had my shunt fitted at 13 months old and revised at 4 years old and was absolutely care free until i was almost 17 years old, where my shunt got a bit old and clogged up which needed replacing. 9 month later and here we are today, 2 weeks ago, my shunt packed itself in and so i had it removed and had a craniotomy and fenestration done instead.
This now means im shunt free and new pathways in my head have been made to drain the fluid. I should be feeling better, but to be honest, all i've had since are headaches. I would prefer to go back to a shunt.

Please dont be put off by the stories on these forums, remember most people come looking for answers on here when something is going wrong. Just think of the amount of people who have had a successful life following shunt surgery

Good luck and please dont hesitate to get in touch x [/QUOTE

Thank you for your advice. I have to say some of the stories I read on here had me a little worried. I read yours and I'm so sorry for all that you've had to go through. I had already started praying for you before you sent me a message.
I have had headaches all of my life but as I've gotten older the intensity and duration has lessened, but I've never had a headache like the ones described on here. Not to mention, every other symptom that was mentioned.
I was encouraged to learned that having children may not effect the shunt if I get one or if I have children they can be healthy without hydrocephalus. I've read conflicting things about it though. Some websites say it's hereditary some say it's not. I was not born with it or as far as I know I wasn't so maybe that's the difference. I don't know. Anyway, thank you for your advice and kind words. Good luck to you!!
miche27bbd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote