View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

From reading postings in several threads, there seems to be an underlying problem that can only be diagnosed as "greed". This "bottom line" mentality that seems to have permeated our society here in the US, and evidently in many other countries as well, isn't doing "patient care" any good whatsoever. I know of doctors, good doctors, who have left the system they were working for because of pressure by the "bean counters" to do more, earn more for the company. It is not only in medicine, but, medicine is the last place it should be found.

I too, have been "ushered" out the door in that 15 minute time span that so many talk of. And, to make matters worse, this was by my cardiologist, of all people. Granted, he had installed three stents in my heart, and it saved my life, but my feeling is, if I don't need the appointment, don't give me one. Don't just make me sit in your office for an hour, or more, and then sit in the exam room for another hour, before you come in, ask me how I'm feeling, listen to my heart, smile, and usher me out the door, all for the almighty dollar. Hell, the waiting around does more harm than good.

There are some great people in the medical business who are being pushed by those who occupy the board room to make more appointments, make more money for the system. It makes it awfully hard to really get involved in what you spent so many years in med school to accomplish, and that is to help people. No, I'm not taking up for doctors. But, as my daughter, who by the way is a heart transplant co-ordinator says, you have to take charge of your own healthcare. And, thank God that I have found this site. A place where people can exchange ideas, causes, treatments, etc. about their illnesses. Just keep up the good work, all of you.
Gyrene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
judymoody (07-29-2009), Kitt (07-07-2009), mrsD (07-07-2009)