Thread: Sick and meds
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sick and meds

Hey guys, (big preamble before i get to my question - sorry)
I've been really sick for a week. At first I thought I was hung-over (Canada Day was fun, we had a BBQ on the 29th but I was already not 100% even that day). But my hangover just never went away. I couldn't eat anything on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - I couldn't keep anything on my stomach. Then Friday I started to feel a bit better but didn't want to eat anything. Felt almost normal Saturday and Sunday - was back to being able to eat light foods. Then I woke up Monday and was back to vomitting and hot/cold flashes etc. I finally dragged myself to the doctor Mon and he said he suspected it was a virus which is taking longer to go away due to my supressed immune-system. Anyways, he gave me some new meds to deal with my nausea, torn-up tummy and dehydration (and then procreeded to mock me on the amount of "toxic" medications I'm on - nice doctor). I'm finally up and about a bit today, only eating very light and still not quite myself.

Ok, now my question: What do you do when you are ill and can't take your medications? I'm taking 40 mg of pred every second day but with so many days in a row that I couldn't eat or keep anything down I couldn't take it. I wasn't worried until I remembered how crazy they are about weaning you off pred gradually and watching your doses carefully. Theni got really scared that I might have really hurt myself.

Anyways, I'm so glad I'm feeling a bit better and I hope all of you are feeling okay! Take care
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote