View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm new here....on my birthday last summer I was holding a ladder for my hubby to trim a split tree limb hanging over our power lines...bad idea. He fell off the ladder and as I worried about him getting hurt, I held the ladder as long as I could...it finally came down and with a crack it hit my anke knocking me to the ground. I knew I was hurt badly...and on my birthday. This wasnt an regular ladder, it's one of those metal extension ladders. So, I got up and hobble into the house, knowing it was bad. I refused treamtent that day and went out for lunch carrying an icepack with me. The next morning I couldnt stand. Went to the urgicare, they took an xray and put me in a aircast. It wasnt better in the week they said it would be, went back they knew something was differant. Send me to an ortho and he said it looked terrible...nice hu? He sat over me, pulled off the air cast and said. THAT'S NOT GOOD...just what you want to hear. He couldnt touch the bruised area it was like he was ripping my skin off. He mentioned RSD and said to goto PT...went to PT and for a week and a half was in horrible pain at the hands of the therapist. She knew something was wrong, sent me back to the doctor and they ordered an MRI, it showed a torn tendon...great. This time it's now about 3 months after the injury. Went to a new foot surgeon, he was nice. He first thought RSD but said he needed to fix the tendon, I had a special brace made to get me through the holidays and then have surgery. I did, woke up in the recovery room in horrible pain. the nurse said it wasnt possible he injected my ankle with something to block the pain...I ended up getting morphine and was still in pain...well got sent home. This was just a surgery center and not a hosptial. I got home with my cast on and was just feeling like I wanted to die. Hubby couldnt understand why i hurt so much, why the pain meds didnt help...I couldnt put my foot down without crying. Well came time to cut my cast off and I told the doc it felt like my skin was tearing off my ankle...it wasnt the tendon, it was RSD. So, I rehab from that, in a wheel chair since I cant walk. Finally i was sent to see a nureologist who did a nerve test to diagnos RSD, great. HE refers me to the Cleveland Clinic Pain center...now I am currently having these nerve blocks that seem to basically do nothing....I am at the end of my line. I just dont know how much more I can take.

thanks for listening.
heartbeatmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote