View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy I am new...and in total misery !

I am new to this site, DESPERATE for HELP !

About two yrs ago, I had a epidural nerve block near my thoracic spine for post-surgical cardiac pain. The Rx that was used was a very stong steroid called DEPO-MEDROL.

The pain MD who administered it (an anthesiologist) did not use flourscopy as I later found out he should have used...and I learned that DEPO MEDROL is by its own maker, Pharmacia, NOT to be used anywhere near the spine...without possible serious neurological complications, including ARACHNOIDITIS and extreme sensory nerve disturbance.

Over the past two yrs I have had five MRI's, none show ARACHNOIDITIS. BUT ever since this TOXIC steriod was injected near my spine, my feet first began to BURN, then my legs...now my lips, my face....the MDs and neurologists cannot find a cause other than some slowing on NCS.

The neurologists are saying I have "small sensory nerve fiber neuropathy" to "idiopathic neuropathy" to asymetical dymyleinating axonal polyneuropathy."

The BURNING in my FEET and legs has become some unbearable, I have LOST my job because I cannot keep up with the work due to this extreme pain, barely able to walk.

The MDs have thrown EVERY Rx at me...Neurontin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Effexor ER, Keppra, Lacmital, Topamax, NORCO, fenatyl patches, Tramadol, Ultram...all have either given me a bad rash or made me so dizzy and short of breath that I have had to stop.

SO then I found this vitamin supplement on the web called NERVE SUPPORT FORMULA, with HUGE amounts of Vitamin B1 in the form of Benfotiamine, 103 mg which is 6,875% OVER the RDA and Vitamin B12 in the form of Methylcobalamin 1000 mcg which is 16, 6666% over the RDA in ONE CAPSULE ALONE. And the manufacturer recommends FOUR a day of these capsules to "heal neuropathy."

Well, I started taking four at first, and they seemed to help for about six months, but then made the BURNING PAIN WORSE !!

So I finally begged my neuro for SOMETHING, and she now has me on 3 mgs of KLONOPIN a day, which somewhat helps but not a whole lot.

I have been reading this blog, and began using about a month ago the recommendations many say here to use:

1) CoQ-10 200 mgs a day
2) Acetyl L-Carnitine, 1000 mgs a day
3) Vitamin E, 800 I U a day
4) Magnesium, 250 mgs a day
5) Purified fish oil, 4000 mgs 3 x a day
6) One of the NERVE SUPPORT FORMULA (the high Vitamin B1 and B12 dosages) every other day.
7) Zinc, 30 mgs a day
8) Two multiple vitamins a day

WELL, I AM BURNING WORSE THAN EVER !!!! My legs and feet are on fire so bad right now that I don't know what to DO !

I have TRIED EVERYTHIING, and nothing helps !!!

What do you all recommend, please, I BEG YOU FOR YOUR HELP !!!

I have seen FOUR neurologists, TWO Pain Management experts, orthopaedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, endocrinologists....NO ONE IS HELPING ME !

And the natural supplements are not either, I continue to grow worse !

Someone told me that sometimes with natural remedies like these supplements, the pain becomes worse at first but then becomes slowly better.

My feet are not as NUMB as they were, not as much pain...but so BURN !!
And my legs, too...and my feet are STONE COLD, especially my toes !

I am in such pain with this burning pain that the only remedy is to KNOCK myself out with the KLONOPIN for a while.

Am I taking too much of the vitamin supplements? I have a friend who says to STOP it all, even the vitamin supplements, as I have "toxified" my nervous system worse than the DEPO-MEDROL strong STEROID SHOT DID...and may have permanently damaged my nervous system !

I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO FOR HELP...I have spent TENS OF THOUSANDS of $$$$ on medical tests, MDs, Rx and now vitamings....am losing my job,may have to apply for Social Security Disability because the burning pain in my feet and legs and even in my face around my lips is so bad I can no longer bare it .... other than "CHECK OUT"...I do not know what else to do for relief !

PLEASE, PLEASE, I beg you good people...any advice, please !!! PLEASE !!!

Thank you !!

Hurtin' Nerves
Chicago northern burbs
USA
Hurtin' Nerves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote