View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default welcome

Hii soania,Connections already being made. Another struck down heartbreakingly early. Thanks for joining the conversation and your open, warm post.I had an early menopause after the birth of my second child, along with hypothyroid, irritatible bowel, and parkinson's followed. I breastfed both children until they were two. (Eventually just at bedtime.) I could have had pd when giving birth to one or even both of them so this hormonal connection is important.Sorry I only have a blackberry _bad formatting.Thanks for being here. We are proactive about patient contributions to the knowledge base. I wonder if pregnancy and/ or extended breastfeeding can initiate a series of events leading to parkinson's, especially those that occur at later ages (I had mine at age 33 and 35.) So welcoming a different biological terrain and hoping to learn from each other so that our children and grandchildren. who. already inheriting a far less safe world have one less thing from which to suffer. Is there a pregnancy/hormonal connection yet undetermined due to its young onset. Hope to help and learn,Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soania View Post
Hi Laura,
I'm new to this forum as well. Debi was actually kind enough to direct me to your post. Like you I was diagnosed with YOPD when I was pregnant with my first daughter at the age of 27. She's turning 11 this September and I've had two other beautiful girls in between - it's a full house!
I agree there is very little research into the field of PD and pregnancy - a not so common combination I guess! In my own experience, my symptoms did progress more quickly with each pregnancy. At first I thought I was just noticing the tremor and stiffness more because I essentially stopped most of my medications, but it became readily apparent that it was really the PD itself that worsened. Not that I wouldn't go through it all over again - they are a true blessing and are probably the best medication to keep me motivated and moving!
Laura, I know how emotional this challenge is, how frustrating it is to lose control over your body. But it is what it is and there really is no choice but to tackle it head on (especially when there are little ones we have to be there for) , to focus on the aspects of our health and our lives that we do have control over. To turn that feeling of helplessness to hopefulness because as flawed as the system may be, there is a research community that is working hard to find a cure. And thankfully the process is being expedited by organizations like the Michael J Fox Foundation.
So stay focused on your health and your beautiful new son!
Wishing you the best,
Soania

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 07-08-2009 at 12:16 AM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote