View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 07:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Adastra: I remember you as ASTRA from Old BrainTalk. Good to see you here. And I do hope you can post some. Yes, it is hard to do so when you are affected by various problems, but I would hope that the value you would get would be more than compensatory.

About your supplement: Are you sure that the ratio is 400/188, with magnesium being 400? The desired ratio is twice the calcium over magnesium. I take 1000 mg/day of calcium and 500 mg/day of magnesium, in divided doses. So, even if your supplement has the right ratio, you would need more than 1 capsule/day.

DBVogt: I have not heard any controversy regarding Amitriptyline's effects. It is primarily an antidepressant medication that is sometimes, although not much anymore, used to treat PN. Its pharmacological actions are to act as a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Thus, concentrations of those two neurotransmitters are increased. This is the mechanism that is believed to boost mood.

And it is the same mechanism that is believed to help reduce pain. I am not familiar with any major hypotheses that suggest it can help "cure" damaged nerves. I have seen suggestions that perhaps in combination with a certain genetic profile, that increases in these neurotransmitters may aid regrowth. But at this point, I think it is quite fair to say that Amitriptyline might be effectively used for symptomatic relief only.

rfinney
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote