View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Chiari Malformation type I

Hey there!

I've never posted any threads before but I am looking for some information on my conditions.

First of all, I have just been disgnosed with Chiari Malformation type I. I've done a bunch of research so I have a good idea of whats going on but now it looks like surgery might be the only option and thats what makes me nervous. I have an 11mm protrousion as far as my chiari goes and my syrnix went from 8mm long and 2mm wide to 2cm long by 3mm wide in 5 months. I have a neurologist appointment to find out exactly what this means in a month but I just can't seem to find information regarding measurements anywhere. I just don't know at what size a syrnix becomes dangerous or what is considered a "serious" chiari protrustion.

The second thing I have a question about it that during my last MRI I found out that i have developed a kink in my brain stem. I can't seem to find out what times means or what problems this can cause. The only information I can find it regarding fetal brain kinks.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there has any information about this they can give me. My doctor has told me that I can't do push-ups, sit-ups, run, jump, squat, lift more than 20 lbs or be on my feet for more than 30 minutes. I was also was wondering are these just precautions or can these things really make my condition worse. I am in the military so I figured maybe they were just over reacting but if anyone has any information regarding anything I would really appriciate it! Or even if someone has a similar experiance they would like to share, anything is welcome! Please e-mail me at or just respond to this. I'll get an e-mail first but either way is fine. Thank you!
semilesh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (07-12-2009), azoyizes (07-14-2009)