View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soania View Post
Hi Laura,
I'm new to this forum as well. Debi was actually kind enough to direct me to your post. Like you I was diagnosed with YOPD when I was pregnant with my first daughter at the age of 27. She's turning 11 this September and I've had two other beautiful girls in between - it's a full house!
I agree there is very little research into the field of PD and pregnancy - a not so common combination I guess! In my own experience, my symptoms did progress more quickly with each pregnancy. At first I thought I was just noticing the tremor and stiffness more because I essentially stopped most of my medications, but it became readily apparent that it was really the PD itself that worsened. Not that I wouldn't go through it all over again - they are a true blessing and are probably the best medication to keep me motivated and moving!
[QUOTE=Soania;534279]Hi Laura,
I'm new to this forum as well. Debi was actually kind enough to direct me to your post. Like you I was diagnosed with YOPD when I was pregnant with my first daughter at the age of 27. She's turning 11 this September and I've had two other beautiful girls in between - it's a full house!
I agree there is very little research into the field of PD and pregnancy - a not so common combination I guess! In my own experience, my symptoms did progress more quickly with each pregnancy. At first I thought I was just noticing the tremor and stiffness more because I essentially stopped most of my medications, but it became readily apparent that it was really the PD itself that worsened. Not that I wouldn't go through it all over again - they are a true blessing and are probably the best medication to keep me motivated and moving!/QUOTE]

Hi Soania,

Thank you for connecting (thank you, Debi for directing). It's already tough having PD at a younger age, dealing with social pressures, and finding that others just cannot really understand what we go through each day, but it's nearly impossible to find others who have faced the fears of PD through the lens of pregnancy. I think it's fantastic that you were able to have three children! I'm a late bloomer, so my little guy is it for me- besides I don't think I could handle it again.

Thanks too for sharing how pregnancy affected your PD symptoms. In my case, I was hoping it was just a medication issue that we could adjust, but I am beginning to think that my PD has permanently amped up a bit too. I agree with you that it was worth it; my son is a joy! Still, as I'm sure you worry too, negative thoughts creep in, and I am concerned that I won't be able to keep up with him in five or seven years <sigh>. Anyway, as you've probably learned, PD has a way of leading us back and "grounding" us in the moment, so we learn to focus on each day, and more importantly, learn to cherish our time with loved ones and to not take anything for granted. With organizations like MJFF continuing support of promising new trials like Ceregene's, I still feel hopeful.

Thanks again for the positive thoughts! I hope we can contribute more of our stories and experiences out here. I think that in choosing to have children, regardless of the PD, we might show to others with early onset PD that it is still possible to experience all that life has to offer.

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote