View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default have to control many variables

I think we do need better ways to measure, for personal interest, but especially for clinical trials.

Those with more scientific experience please correct me, but I think you would have to have as few variables as possible. You would, i think, have to compare with similar symptoms, but not necessarily someone having it the same length of time. Would your medication be the same? Are you measuring progression or improvement from meds? Are you comparing meds? How much was eaten prior to measurement? Current stressors? Is depression present? Last bowel movement? How much sleep in the last week?

Any allergies active? Other conditions? Menstruation? Menopause?

Those in clinical trials, have these factors been considered, asked of you when you are evaluated?

i an not trying to discourage you; just stressing that small changes [daily? monthly] aren't necessarily permanent. A different med could change them all. Tney can change in an hour.

Measuring without med may enable some self comparisons, but no one else would be able to compare to you in any reliable specific way.

There lies a big part of our problem; we are all different batches of chemicals.

And psychology is no where in you list. Someone could tell you you are doing much better, and you might actually start doing so.

Howwever, just the fact that you are posting this, indicates your desire to understand this illness and medications in tangible ways. I hope you keep thinking. Many of us know that variables are not controlled in actual clinical measurements.

Emotions, psychology - I encourage you to include it from the very beginning.

thanks for the post. it's a beginning?
paula

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make."
The End, by the Beatles - written by Paul McCartney

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote